Besides, I have two pieces ready for mounting. Already--how cool is that?
It started with the watercolors and the encouragement of friend Barbara, who visited last Wednesday. Over curried lentils we talked about the little paintings I've done, whether I should work on details and try to make them more complete, different techniques. I have a big wonderful watercolor of ripe tomatoes hanging in the kitchen, and we went over that artist's use of paint and preserving white space.
I had been thinking, wondering, how to structure the work for the exhibition, when a concept formed just as I was waking up--I will do some studies using that blue chair I painted last week, and see if I can put them into fabric. It's taken on a life of its own. I have a long mental list of scenes I can use, paint them first, then adapt for fiber. The watercolors don't have to be particularly precise or detailed, just enough to preserve a basic composition and color scheme. I took the studies and the two fiber pieces I've done to my Thread Songs meeting on Saturday and got more encouragement from colleagues. Therefore, the order for the canvases; instead of hanging from a rod, these scenes will be gallery-wrapped on stretched canvas. They won't need framing, but will be ready to hang with nice, crisp sides.
I'm not ready to do the big reveal, but for those whose curiosity is alerted, here's a detail of the first scene.
Lots of hand-dyed fabrics in the rocks here. I'm pleased with the result and eager to push ahead.
The canvases should be delivered this week. Then I can work on my stretching and stapling skills. That's engineering, baby.